RASA | RTR 2016 Partners

RTR | RASA 2016 Newsfeed

A Final Word

The 2016 Freedom Challenge has come and gone. For riders in the Race to Rhodes and Race Across South Africa, some of the signs of their efforts are still fresh in mind, the vivid memories of places seen and people encountered along the way, the still familiar aches and pains for those that finished not too long ago. But as time slowly takes the edge off the hardships they experienced and bodies slowly heal and come back stronger, something more permanent comes to the fore. 

After the blur of the finish and the sometimes rude awakening of getting back to normal life, the realisation of what they have been through slowly dawns on them and the overwhelming sense of achievement brings with it a new sense of pride. For some there will be unbridled excitement and wanting to share their stories with friends and family, for others it will be more of a sense of knowing, an inner smile that they carry forward with them. Either way, few are left unaffected by overcoming a great challenge and so to with the Freedom Challenge. 

We would like to thank all the riders who set off along the trail this year, each facing their own particular challenge and overcoming it in their own special way. The Freedom Challenge leaves room for a person to test their own limits and to overcome many obstacles along the way - and long may it remain so. For all those new Whip Bearers and Blanket Wearers, welcome to the clan and well done for taking up the challenge and succeeding. 

From the Race Office. 



And in the end there were three - the trio of Neville Higgs, Clint le Roux and Gerald vd Merwe, who after a night out in Stettynskloof managed to regroup and get it done, crossing the finish line at 5pm this afternoon to a warm welcome from friends and family. For Gerald, the final cutoff had been beaten and he received his Blanket after finishing in 25d 11h. For Clint and Neville who started a day later, their finishing time was 24d 11h. The three of them have stuck together through thick and thin and will surely have many shared memories and stories to tell - for now though, all that matters is that they have finished and can wear their Blankets with pride.



As the sun sets on yet another day on the trail, the Race Office waits for the last three riders to arrive. The trio of Clint le Roux, Neville Higgs and Gerald vd Merwe left Trouthaven this morning to take on Stettynskloof, the final stage in their journey to Diemersfontien.

As first timers to Stettynskloof, they would only have known what to expect by the reputation of the place and the stories of those who have gone before. Any Blanket Wearer will confirm that it is a place not to be underestimated. Judging by the time they got going this morning, they may have underestimated it..

Having made fairly slow progress through the kloof all day, they found themselves about halfway with the light beginning to fade. It seems they have taken the decision to camp out for the night and are in for a cold and uncomfortable night in the kloof, waiting for daylight before they proceed further. If they get going at first light, they should get to the finish at Diemersfontein by late morning - where the Race Office will be waiting to welcome them home.




Brad vd Westhuizen set off from Trouthaven before sunrise this morning - a man on a mission. Having rested there yesterday, his first task was to locate his bike and then finish off what he had started by getting through Stettynskloof. His progress was hampered by swollen rivers after all the rain and the ubiquitous thick bush in his path but he steadily made his way up the valley, making it out just after dark. From there it was a slow ride through to the finish at Diemersfontein and he arrived at 22h30 to be greeted by the biggest crowd so far - all the riders and supporters at the FC Finisher’s Dinner. A fitting welcome from the many fellow Blanket Wearers and congratulations all around - well done Brad.

That leaves only the trio still out on the trail - Neville Higgs, Clint le Roux and Gerald vd Merwe are spending the night at Trouthaven, having arrived by lunch time from McGregor today. There will be a nervous anticipation in the air, the task is almost complete but the final obstacle still has to be conquered tomorrow. They should be well rested and up to the challenge - not much will stop them now.



In the early hours of this morning, Caren Henschel and Tony Wright crossed the finish line at Diemersfontein - after a very long day out for them which ended in the pouring rain - but nothing could dampen their spirits by then, they had persevered and finally earned their Blankets. Having ridden together from the start, they finished in 19d19h20min, a very good effort by both of them.

Catching up with the rest of the field today was a bit like watching a game of chess - one rider maintained his position while the others made a strategic move before their final assault.

Brad vd Westhuizen spent the day at Trouthaven, resting up and giving his injured back a chance to recover before his second attempt on Stettynskloof in the morning. He has used the time well, staying positive and is confident about his chances tomorrow.

The trio of Neville Higgs, Clint le Roux and Gerald vd Merwe completed the short hop to McGregor today, despite the wet weather. They arrived in time for lunch which meant they had the whole afternoon to rest and recover. Tomorrow they will move forward to Trouthaven and with the weather set to clear over the weekend, they look to have timed it well for a possible trip up Stettynskloof on Sunday.

For these four riders the end may be near but a finish is still not guaranteed - they still need to focus on the task at hand and continue in the same determined manner that has gotten them to this point - their Blankets await them.



The onslaught on Stettynskloof got underway early this morning as nine riders entered the valley at dawn. They worked their way steadily up towards the steep exit slope, beyond which lay a short ride to a warm Blanket. For the group of Hughes Clauser, Greg Perrett, Richard Cole and Gary Scoular, it was business as usual as they forged their way up the kloof and emerged by mid afternoon, then continued to the finish at Diemersfontein, arriving before dark. Apart from Gary, the other three have ridden together since before Rhodes, now their adventure has finally come to an end. For Frenchman Hughes, there will no doubt be many stories to tell back home. Well done to all of them for getting to the finish.

The next rider to emerge from the kloof was Fanus Vorster, who then continued to cross the finish line and receive his well deserved Blanket. His ride has been full of ups and downs and he went from the brink of withdrawing to completing a determined, mostly solo effort - well done for seeing it through.

Pierre Oosthuizen is another rider who had a tough ride - that was last year, when he got as far as Cambria. This time around, he was more determined than ever to get the Blanket and went out everyday, focussed and resolute, steadily making his way down the trail on his single speed. A few late night arrivals and early morning starts couldn’t break his rhythm and today the hard work paid off when he finally arrived at Diemersfontein and wrapped himself in his Blanket - well done Pierre.

Among the nine riders leaving Trouthaven this morning were Brad vd Westhuizen and Caren Henschel together with Tony Wright. Brad made it halfway up the kloof and then his tracker showed him making a u-turn and heading back. It turns out, he took a fall on the way up and hurt his back, badly enough to make it very painful to carry his bike - so he went back down, leaving his bike near the dam and seeking assistance from the manager there, who helped him back to Trouthaven. He’s not done yet as he will rest up tomorrow and try again. Tony and Caren have had a very long day in Stettynskloof but have made it out and are on their way to Diemersfontein, where the are expected later tonight.

The sweeps, Neville Higgs, Clint le Roux and Gerald vd Merwe, are in Montagu tonight, after a double stage from Rouxpos today. Neville had to take a detour to the local clinic to have his hand stitched up after he cut it coming out of Anysberg but he is on the mend and will continue with the others tomorrow. They are still hoping to finish over the weekend.




Sleeping at Kranskop tonight and currently forging their way ahead at the front of the field are the RASA Batch A riders Chris, Hayden, Wille and Gerrit. Unfortunately they had to say goodbye to riding companion Ray Sephton at Chesneywold yesterday and would have heard the news today that Ray decided to withdraw after his night’s rest at Chesneywold did little to improve his chest infection - a big disappointment for Ray and a sad loss for his fellow riding companions - get well soon Ray. Their other Batch A compatriot, Fanus had another easier day today, also for recovery, stopping at Slaapkranz for the night.

Rhodes was busy as ever today as the riders kept on arriving - but the sunny hamlet of last week is now a cold and damp place. The first arrival of the day was Martin Dreyer (RTR Batch 11) who arrived at 07h47, a bit later than expected after getting a bit lost on Lehanas in the dark. His non-stop ride from PMB in a shade under 50 hours is the new Race to Rhodes record - 49h47min - an impressive effort, well done Martin. 

Later in the day we had the RASA Batch C riders Greg and Richard arriving - after leaving Vuvu this morning, they opted to go around Lehanas via the Mcambalala route due to the threatening weather - s good decision on the day. Their riding mates from the last few days, RTR Batch 8 Nigel, Adrian, August, Arrie, Richard, Steve and George all rode in together and were well pleased with their ride, having had a great adventure together over the last six days. 

Next to arrive was Janine Stewart (RTR Batch 10), current women’s record holder and narrowly missing out on her own record by finishing in 3d 11h 10min - only 10min off her previous best - her solo ride is a remarkable effort but not entirely surprising as she is also the current record holder for the Race to Cradock - well done Janine.

Soon after Janine, we had the RASA Batch B riders arriving - Pierre, Hugh, Hughues and Patricia - all slightly cold and wet after testing conditions on Lehanas. Tomorrow they head for Slaapkranz and then into the Stormberg region where more adventure awaits.

Still expected in Rhodes much later tonight are Arno and Eddie (RTR Batch 11), who left Vuvu after supper to take on Lehanas - brave men indeed.

Vuvu is also a busy place tonight with a mix of RASA and RTR riders there - Brad, Ann and Grant (RASA Batch D) came through from Malekgalonyane, together with Stephen (RASA Batch B) and their friends from RTR Batch 9, Nikki, Nick, Johan, David, Richard and Steve. Its been a festive time for these guys with early arrivals and a few she been visits - making it look easy and always having fun - but they still need to get over Lehanas before the final celebrations can begin. Also there tonight are RTR Batch 10 riders Johathan, Kevin and Coen, they initially started out racing but then switched into cruise mode, they will also finish tomorrow. 

Ingrid (RTR Batch 10) and Scott (RASA Batch E) are both at Tinana tonight, having ridden through from Masakala - a good effort considering the blustery conditions on those parts of the route today - tomorrow they will aim for Rhodes.

Only three at Malekgalonyane - the two RASA Batch G riders Mike and Tim and RASA Batch F rider Gary. Gary’s antics on the Mparane ridge have kept tracker watchers entertained tonight, he’ll be a bit tired when he finally arrives. Tim is struggling to keep any food down, something that has happened to him before but it doesn’t seem to after his progress much. 

Masakala hosts quite a few tonight - from RASA Batch F are Caren, Tony and Werner, back on the road again after taking a replacement frame at Glen Edward, for which he will serve a time penalty in the morning but it shouldn’t affect his plans too badly, he’ll still make it to Malekgalonyane quite comfortably. Joining them are Clint, Neville (RASA Batch E) and Gerald (RTR Batch D) who had another short day from Glen Edward today - they really need to pay attention to the first possible cut-off looming: 8 days to Rhodes… Expected later tonight are RASA Batch G riders Leon and Vaughn, who came from Centocow today, matching the ride of Liehann (RASA Batch G), although he arrived much earlier.

At Ntsikeni tonight are the RASA Batch H racers, Bruce, Theo and TimD, with Jacques still on his way - quick riding by these guys today means they can afford to bank some sleep here before heading out in the early hours to continue. Not far behind them at Centocow is fellow Batch G rider Gawie, who arrived there for supper. 

All the way back at the Oaks Hotel tonight is Gavin - a torn calf muscle stopped him in his tracks but after initially indicating that he would withdraw, he changed his mind and hopes to continue tomorrow after some intensive treatment and rehab tonight - let’s hold thumbs he can go on in the morning.


Live Twitter Feed

Event Related Blogs


2016 Freedom Challenger Blogs

Mike Woolnough - Adventures of an Ordinary Cyclist

Carl Scholtz - Making Trackz

Clint le Roux - Afrivence

Bruce Hughes - East of Adventure

Live Facebook Feed



Chris Fisher +27(0)78 702 9178 (Race Director)
E-MAIL - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Go to top