Please note: RTW 2020 has been postponed to November due to Corona Virus. Dates, entry deadlines and withdrawal policies updated below in light of postponement.
RACE TO WILLOWMORE
The Race To Willowmore (RTW) is an unforgettable adventure by bike from Cradock to Willowmore in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
RTW is a physically and mentally demanding undertaking – to complete this challenge, riders need to be adequately trained, equipped and prepared. Apart from the fitness, riders also need to be proficient at navigation and bike maintenance.
Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
- Non-stop event, riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races
- There are 4 Support stations where riders must check-in. Food and basic accommodation is provided at support stations. Bedding and towels provided
- Riders can pre-pack 4 x 2litre ice-cream tubs with supplies such as maps, trail food, personal medications, spares etc. These are distributed to the 4 Support stations
- In addition to the 4 support stations, there are also 5 interim stops where food and accommodation is provided
- Solo event and all riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them
- No individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route and offer assistance during the ride
- Cut-off: Riders are allowed a maximum of 6 days to complete the ride
- Postponed Dates: 16 - 23 November 2020 (See draft start batches below)
The route follows the Freedom Trail from Cradock to Willowmore through the Karoo and Baviaans regions of South Africa along a wide variety of off-road terrain – dirt roads, farm roads and tracks, footpaths and animal tracks. Many of the trails retrace old historic wagon routes which are no longer in regular use. Apart from the riding, there are numerous portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes.
Visit TRAIL INFORMATION page for more route information.
DRAFT START BATCHES
The below table shows draft batches of entrants to date. Please note that this may still be adjusted. Last updated 24 June
|Mike Potgieter||Roger Nicholson||Casper John Venter||Richmond MacIntyre|
|Michael Patchitt||Keith Sutcliffe||Laurence Chambers||Daniel Otto|
|Paul Arnott||Dominic Giampaolo||John Bowen||Axel Poser|
|Donald Rogan||Andrew Walker||Josh Hayman|
|Chris Charter||Robert Verseput||Sally Hayman|
|Janine Oosthuizen||Johnny Anderton||Mark Rule|
|John Barrow||Justin Dowdle||Estelle Labuschagne|
|Pete MacKenzie||Bruce Mckinlay|
- 2020 Race to Willowmore: R10,350 incl. VAT
- Entries close: 31 August 2020
ENTRY FEES COVER THE FOLLOWING:
- All meals and accommodation at support stations and interim stops whilst in competition (max 6 Days)
- Pre-race dinner and accommodation at the pre-race briefing in Cradock
- Dinner and accommodation in Willowmore on the day/night you finish
- Small spares at Squirt Tech Zone Station (Bucklands) including Tubes, CO2, Lube, Sealent, Tyres, anti-chaffe cream
- Access to the downloadable set of 1:50 000 topographical maps and narrative descriptions of the race route (Pre-printed Maps cost R575 incl. VAT and delivery)
- Transport of one small bag per rider (clothes etc) to be collected at the finish (bike bags also transported by request)
- Shipping of 2 litre race support boxes from Race Office (Cape Town) to support stations along the route (max 4 tubs per rider)
- Official race garments - First Ascent Cycle shirt, socks and buff (available at race registration the evening before your start)
- Beaded Wire Aloe Trophy (to all official finishers)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS (UPDATED DUE TO COVID-19)
- Entry and start day is only secured once min 20% payment has been made
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 31 August 2020
- You may pay in installments of your choosing, please use same invoice number on all instalments
- Withdrawals before 31 August will receive 70% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 40% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Map payments are non-refundable
- Roll overs to 2021 RTW will be permitted at no extra cost
- Deadline for confirmation of rollover option is 31 Aug 2020
- NOTE: 2021 RTW entry fee is R9500 + 15% VAT = R10,950 (RTW 2021 first start batch on 22 March 2021)
- All new entries (received after 7 April 2020) will have option of 100% refund if RTW 2020 does not proceed