RTC 2020 (postponed to November) Batches and late entries HERE
RACE TO CRADOCK (2021)
The Race To Cradock (RTC) is an unforgettable adventure by bike from Rhodes to Cradock in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
RTC is a physically and mentally demanding undertaking – to complete this challenge, riders need to be adequately trained, equipped and prepared. Apart from the fitness, riders also need to be proficient at navigation and bike maintenance.
Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
RTC start days on 16-20 March 2021
- Non-stop event, riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races
- There are 4 Support stations where riders must check-in. Food and basic accommodation is provided at support stations. Bedding and towels provided
- Riders can pre-pack 4 x 2litre ice-cream tubs with supplies such as maps, trail food, personal medications, spares etc. These are distributed to the 4 Support stations
- In addition to the 4 support stations, there are also 5 interim stops where food and accommodation is provided
- Solo event and all riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them
- No individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route and offer assistance during the ride
- Cut-off: Riders are allowed a maximum of 6 days to complete the ride
- Rider vehicles can be transferred from Rhodes to Cradock at additional cost (2021 = R2000 plus VAT)
ENTRY FEES AND DEADLINES (RTC 2021)
- Early-bird Entry : R10,000 incl VAT (Deadline 31 October 2020)
- Normal Entry : R11,000 incl VAT (Deadline 19 February 2021)
ENTRY FEES COVER THE FOLLOWING:
- All meals and accommodation at support stations and interim stops whilst in competition (max 6 Days)
- Pre-race dinner and accommodation at the pre-race briefing in Rhodes
- Dinner and accommodation in Cradock on the day/night you finish
- Small spares at Squirt Tech Zone Station (Romansfontein) including Tubes, CO2, Lube, Sealent, Tyres, anti-chaffe cream
- Access to the downloadable set of 1:50 000 topographical maps and narrative descriptions of the race route (Pre-printed Maps cost R575 incl. VAT and delivery)
- Transport of one small bag per rider (clothes etc) to be collected at the finish (bike bags also transported by request)
- Shipping of 2 litre race support boxes from Race Office (Cape Town) to support stations along the route (max 4 tubs per rider)
- Official race garment
- Beaded Wire Windmill Trophy (to all official finishers)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 19 February 2021
- Start batch place is only booked once entry paid in full
- You may pay in installments of your choosing, please use same invoice number on all instalments
- Withdrawals before 19 February will receive 95% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 70% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Map payments are non-refundable
- If event does not take place due to Force Majeure, pandemic or political unrest then you may chose between rollover to postponed date or following year at no extra cost or refund as per above withdrawals
- By entering this event you agree to abide by race rules and sign the event indemnity form
The route follows the Freedom Trail from Rhodes to Cradock through the Stormberg region of South Africa along a wide variety of off-road terrain – dirt roads, farm roads and tracks, footpaths and animal tracks. Many of the trails retrace old historic wagon routes which are no longer in regular use. Apart from the riding, there are numerous portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes.
Visit TRAIL INFORMATION page for more route information.