RACE ACROSS SOUTH AFRICA (2021)
The Race Across South Africa is an unforgettable adventure by bike which takes riders to remote parts of South Africa where they will experience the true splendour of the country and the warm hospitality of its people.
Due to the nature of the terrain and time of year, the Race Across South Africa is a physically and mentally demanding undertaking – to complete this challenge, riders need to be adequately trained, equipped and prepared. Apart from the fitness, riders also need to be proficient at navigation and bike maintenance.
Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
RASA start days on 23 June - 2 July 2021
- Non-stop event, riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races
- There are 19 Support stations where riders must check-in. Food and basic accommodation is provided at support stations. Bedding and towels provided
- Riders can pre-pack 19 x 2litre ice-cream tubs with supplies such as maps, trail food, personal medications, spares etc. These are distributed to the 19 Support stations
- In addition to the 19 support stations, there are also 17 interim stops where food and accommodation is provided
- Solo event and all riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them
- No individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route and offer assistance during the ride
ENTRY FEES AND DEADLINES (RASA 2021)
- Early-bird Entry : R40,000 incl VAT (Deadline 31 October 2020 - paid in full)
- Normal Entry : R43,000 incl VAT (Deadline 21 May 2021)
THE ENTRY FEE COVERS THE FOLLOWING:
- All meals and accommodation at support stations and interim stops whilst in competition (max 26 Days)
- Pre-RASA dinner and accommodation at the pre-race briefing in Pietermaritzburg
- Dinner and accommodation at Diemersfontein on the day/night you finish
- Small spares at Squirt Tech Zone Stations (every 3-4 days) including Tubes, CO2, Lube, Sealent, Tyres, anti-chaffe cream
- Access to the downloadable set of 1:50 000 topographical maps and narrative descriptions of the race route (Pre-printed Maps cost R1150 incl. VAT and delivery)
- Transport of one small bag per rider (clothes etc) to be collected at the finish (bike bags also transported by request)
- Shipping of 2 litre race support boxes from Race Office (Cape Town) to support stations along the route (max 19 tubs per rider)
- Official race garments
- Traditional Basutho Finisher’s blanket (to all official finishers)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 21 May 2021
- Start batch place is only booked once entry paid in full
- You may pay in installments of your choosing, please use same invoice number on all instalments
- Withdrawals before 21 May will receive 95% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 70% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Map payments are non-refundable
- If event does not take place due to Force Majeure, pandemic or political unrest then you may chose between rollover to postponed date or following year at no extra cost or refund as per above withdrawals
- By entering this event you agree to abide by race rules and sign the event indemnity form
The route follows the Freedom Trail from Pietermaritzburg to Wellington along a wide variety of off-road terrain – dirt roads, farm roads and tracks, footpaths and animal tracks.Many of the trails retrace old historic wagon routes which are no longer in regular use. Apart from the riding, there are numerous portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes.
The route traverses six terrestrial biomes and the geography ranges from coastal to mountainous to semi-desert. Anticipated temperatures during June/July can range from 35 degrees Celcius down to minus 10 degrees Celcius
Visit TRAIL INFORMATION page for more route information.
- Rhodes – 8 days
- Hofmeyr – 12 days
- Willowmore – 18 days
- Wellington - 26 days