24 June - the evening wrap up

After today, the riders are a bit more stretched out along the trail:

Mike Devereux and Nico van Zyl stopped at Stuttgart today after a short ride from Elandsberg. Mike had to repair a damaged wheel, which he did and they both made the most of the great hospitality on offer there.

Mike Glover and John Exley doubled up for the first time today, going from Elandsberg, via Stuttgart to Grootdam.

Marnitz and Ivor left Stuttgart at 03h15 this morning and have had a long hard day’s riding, battling fierce headwinds over the Struishoek. Marnitz took a tumble coming through Koedoeskop but came off with only a few bruises. Tonight they sleep at Toekomst lodge.

Pierre Oosthuizen started his day at Gegun and is still heading to Bucklands, he should arrive there in the early hours of the morning.

At Bucklands tonight are Andrew Blackburn, Mike Potgieter and Nic Jordan, together with Mike and Ingrid Talbot. They will take on the notorious Ossesberg section tomorrow on their way to Cambria.

Hadley is busy tonight too, with four riders staying there. Mike Roy and John Bowen are there, as well as Andrew Barnes and Andrew Hunt. Tomorrow they also head down the Ossesberg, Andrew Barnes is likely to get to Cambria and push on to Dam se Drif or even possibly Willowmore.

In Cambria tonight, staying at Kudu Kaya, are Liehann and Beat, who arrived mid afternoon after an early start from Hadley. Later arrivals were Theo van Dyk, Fjord Jordaan and Tim James, after a long 24h of riding and cat naps. Chances are good that they’ll get a proper sleep there tonight before pushing on again.

Dam se Drif plays host to Johann Rissik, Ian Verwayen, Alan Haupt and Paul Dalton. Also there are Lee Fuller, Dave Telford, Gary Preston and Stu Brew – they all came unstuck after a heavy lunch and even heavier headwinds and decided not to press on to Willowmore.

Splitting off from that group were Gary Green, Mike Ward and Ant Jankovic-Bessan. They braved the fierce afternoon headwinds and rode through to Willowmore, arriving just after 7pm. A hearty supper, some beers and then laundry before heading to bed for an early planned start – goal tomorrow is Prince Albert.

Maarten Witters and Jacques Tattersall left Willowmore early this morning and got to Rondawel before the wind turned on, pinning them down there for nearly 4 hours before they plucked up the courage to go on to Prince Albert. They eventually arrived for a late supper and a well-deserved rest.

The adventurers out front, Anton Wood and Gert Peens, rode up Swartberg Pass through heavy rain and cold to arrive in Gamkaskloof totally drenched and frozen – Tanne Ansie took pity on them, made a fire to dry their clothes and fed them hot soup. Suitably recovered , they rode on towards the Ladder and eventually arrived at Rouxpos for dinner.

With today’s sudden arrival of another cold front, the rider’s need to pay attention to the weather for the next few day’s and pick their stops carefully to avoid riding into energy sapping headwinds and rain. The ride may be nearing it’s end by it is by no means over.