Race start dates 1-5 April 2020.
The Race to Paarl is a 650 km, non-stop, self-navigated mountain bike race starting in Willowmore and ending in Paarl. Riders are allowed a maximum of 6 days to complete the ride.
It is a non-stop event, so riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races. Riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them.
Starting at The Willows Historical B&B in Willowmore and finishing at Oaklands in Wellington, the five stages of the route will pass through 5 support stations where our generous hosts will take good care of you along the way.
Further support along the way is provided by:
- 5 support stations which also serve as compulsory check points. These support stations occur roughly every 120km along the route and provide food and accommodation to all riders during the race. Riders are required to sign in and out of each designated support station. It is however within an individual participant's discretion to decide whether they wish to utilise the accommodation provided at each support station.
- Riders may pre-packed 2 litre containers with spares, snack, maps etc which will be distributed to each support station, to be collected during the race.
Please note: no individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route and offer assistance during the ride.
The route follows a section of the Freedom Trail which traverses a wide variety of off-road terrain including dirt roads, farm roads, old historical wagon routes and animal tracks. Apart from the riding, there a few portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes. It includes the iconic Gamkaskloof and Die Leer hiking route out of Die Hel. RTP will not include Stettynskloof portage but rather go over Bains Kloof Pass.
Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices for navigation during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
The stage details are as follows:
- Willowmore to Prince Albert - 160km
- Prince Albert to Rouxpos - 130km
- Rouxpos to Montague - 140km
- Montague to Breede River - 95km
- Breede River to Oaklands - 125km
- Total = 650km
ENTRY FEES AND DEADLINES
2020 Race to Paarl: R9000-00 excl. VAT
All payments made after 15 September 2019 will incur 15% VAT
Entries close on 31 January 2020 or when sold out (Entry is only secured once min 20% payment has been made)
(if entry numbers are approaching capacity warnings will go on on newsletter and social media)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS
- VAT exempt payments must be made before 15 September 2019
- Outstanding payments will be re-invoiced with VAT added after 15 September 2019
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 31 January 2020
- You may pay in installments of your choosing, please use same invoice number on all instalments
- Withdrawals before 30 October will receive 100% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 31 January will receive 90% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 20 February will receive 70% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 40% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Late entries or transfers incur R1000 admin fee (deadline 20 February)
- No roll-over entries permitted
- Map payments are non-refundable
THE ENTRY FEE COVERS THE FOLLOWING:
- Accommodation for one night at the start in Willowmore and finish in Paarl.
- Pre-ride dinner in Willowmore
- All meals during the ride
- End of ride dinner in Paarl
- Accommodation for 6 nights including Willowmore and Paarl
- Official riders garment
- Finisher’s prize
Please note: Printed Maps are NOT included in your entry fee. All riders will be sent a link where you can download 2019 maps and narratives free of charge and print at your own expense. Alternatively you may elect to have printed maps and narratives couriered to your door for an additional R500. RTP route is covered by 22 x A3 Colour Topographical 1:50 000 maps.